Recreation In The Area
(from the Greater Hall Chamber)
Gainesville Parks & Recreation Agency and the Hall County Parks & Leisure Services support award winning programs for both youth and adults. Hall County has more parks than any county in the United States - with 23 U.S. Corps of Engineers parks on Lake Lanier, and another 47 parks located throughout the county.
Rowing & Kayaking
Lake Lanier Olympic Center, the rowing, canoe and kayak venue for the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games, is now home to the very active Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club and the Lake Lanier Rowing Club.
Chicopee Woods Nature Preserve, a 2500 acre park, features miles of nature trails, the Elachee Nature Science Center, a wildlife garden and nature activities. More than 2,000 people every year enjoy hiking, biking, jogging and horse back riding in Chicopee Woods. The Chicopee Woods Agricultural Center hosts a number of major horse shows, dog shows and livestock shows annually.
Avid golfers will find an array of challenging golf courses with breathtaking scenery and unique features against the backdrop of the mountains and Lake Lanier. Check out the following courses for your next 18 holes:
- Chattahoochee Country Club, Gainesville. 770-532-0066;
- Legacy on Lanier, Lake Lanier Islands. 770-945-8787;
- Chicopee Woods Golf Course. 770- 534-7322
- Chateau Elan Golf Club. 706-425-0900;
Hall County is ideally situated for residents to take advantage of the many state parks that exist in the mountain foothills. To learn more:
- Gainesville Parks and Leisure Services, www.gainesville.org
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Parks Dept., www.gadnr.org
- Hall County Parks and Recreation Departments, www.hallcounty.org
- Gainesville-Hall County Convention & Visitors Bureau, www.hallcounty.org/agencies/ghcvb.asp
- Georgia Department of Economic Development, www.georgia.org